Saturday, November 24, 2007

November 24

November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving was a smashing success, or shall I say a mashing success. In order to fill the bellies of 50 volunteers/staff teams were created for food prep. Our team later claimed the name Team Ireland/Mashed potatoes. Preparation of potatoes in Africa requires 4 Irish lads, beacoup de butter, quite a bit of garlic, and a visit from gangster…Papa of Megan. We donned pilgrim top hats and bonnets in recognition of the special day, along with quite a bit of political incorrectness. Anywho since a turkey wasn’t found, 11 chickens were sacrificed instead. There was an abundance of wonderful comfort foods. Not to mention quite the performance from a soon to be named band and in my opinion covers Stones tunes quite well. All and all it was a fantastic fete, without famine. Here’s to hoping everyone had a wonderful holiday.

Stage is winding down. Though the amount of work has done the opposite. I suppose they meant to do that, keep us out of trouble. One more week of classes, head to Yaounde for logistical things, and back to Bangante for swearing in. It’s officially been over two months since we have arrived. Though time here is difficult to gauge. I blame this on wearing dresses and sunglasses most everyday of the week. Though overall things are well. Since my language has improved things are better with my host family. I tested to my French level so I can begin Pidgin classes as well.

I recently learned a grand difference between American families and those here in Cameroon. This was brought on when I learned my host sisters aren’t actually sisters, they’re cousins. That’s how it works here Nieces, nephews, sisters, cousins, or whoever lives together. Since my host folks are quite well off and live in the city they take on family members to put them through school. Marian is the only child of my host parents and my other 3 siblings are cousins. Their parents live out of town in petite villages. Marian is the youngest of 5 siblings, the rest are grown. I find there is something beautiful about a family really taking care of each other, which extends far past the “immediate” family.

A note on packages/mail:

Thank you to everyone sending things. It feels like Christmas when things arrive – no joke! Mostly because the build up is over a month – ha! When they said it was slow this was the truth. Unless the package is sent DHL (which costs a good arm and a leg) it’s going to take over a month or so. It seems that packages sent via flat rate boxes (through the US postal service) get here in pretty good shape. Also write “Sister Katherine” on it. Religious symbols like crosses help too. People in the postal system tend to give religious packages priority, or that’s the rumor here at least. If it has religious verses or symbols people are less likely to rifle through it. If you are sending food make sure to put it in Zip Loc bags so it doesn’t leak on other things.

What I’ve received so far:

2 postcards from Lauren @ John Hopkins!

1 Halloween card from Dad and Carol, which I received ON Halloween - nice timing folks!

1 card from the Shaddy Shack

1 Turkey Day card from Momma and Bill

1 card from Veronica – aww shucks!

My first package from Dad and Carol – fantastic! Just wonderful: a box filled with Luna/Cliff bars (great for traveling), hand sanitizer (Carol’s got me set for the next two year – yea!), deodorant (I’m good for about 4 months!), nail polish which I painted my host sisters nails with, a journal, a pumpkin Pez, gum (great cause its hard to find sugar free here), and perfume (a lovely scent to lessen my stench).

Thank you SO much!! I understand it takes a lot of time, money, and patience to send things all the way over here. I appreciate it so much. I can’t imagine being here without a family and friends at home who supports and loves me, so thanks again.

My next entry will be as an official Peace Corps volunteer!

Love,

KT

No comments: