Thursday, December 27, 2007

December 27

On my way to a meeting some folks in Mr. John’s bar stop me. Meetings never really start on time so I figure it’s a good way to meet some new folks. Halfway though my Fanta someone offers me a chicken for Christmas. He tells me to be around on Christmas day so one of his children can bring it over, kill, and clean it for me. Merry Christmas! At first it seemed like a good idea to ignore the holiday and pretend it was July. Though instead I decided to try and embrace it. This being listening to Xmas music non-stop, baking/delivering sugar cookies around, attending the hospital Christmas party, and going to mass on the big day.

Most of it was wonderful and a good experience. The hospital party was a hoot! Let me tell you. We basically had a “Secret Santa” dance party, this being you draw the name of someone and buy them a present. Instead of handing the recipient a gift you dance around the room with it and fake people out by making them think you are giving it to them. Just a side note, many people gave chickens out. So this meant people dancing around with well, live chickens. Sister Emma gave me a traditional purse with roasted peanuts (groundnuts as they are called here) inside. I experienced a Christmas miracle: The water in my house stayed on the whole time while I had a houseful of guests. When it goes out I pay kids to fetch water from down the hill, which still feels weird to do - but the children want to earn the money and it seems socially acceptable here. It was a nice holiday overall but being away from family and friends was much more difficult than I ever imagined.

Things are good though. Each day is so different but these activities are quite common: working on Pidgin, running from mice, cooking elaborate meals (because I have the time), greeting almost everyone I walk past (Afternoon! How? I be fine. How fo yu, ho fu skin?), reading (I’m averaging 2 books a week – yea!), and really just trying to find my place here. Work now has become life, which is fine by me. Some of my most successful needs assessments are sitting, chatting, and figuring out how I can help here. I’m looking forward to the new year in Africa and what it may bring.

Cheers to a happy, healthy, and beautiful New Year!

No comments: