Monday, September 17, 2007

Timeline

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
-Mark Twain

Applicant (Fall):
Leaving ultimate practice early is something that is frowned upon though I justified it to learn more about Peace Corps. I sat down, still sweating from frisbee and listened to RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) stories/experiences. Peace Corps has been in the back of my mind for years, since high school. The following day I attended an application workshop to learn more. With such a long application process, I needed to apply soon. For the next two weeks, I spent most of my time in the library writing essays, and filling in blanks. I submitted my application along with 2 essays in the middle of November, within two days I received a call from the PC office in Seattle. They wanted to set up a time to interview. This meant shopping with my dear friend Annie for "big kid" clothes, apparently college sweatshirts and/or tie dye wouldn't cut it.

I met with Jen, who would later become my PC Recruiter. Questions ranged from, the basics of why do you want to become a PCV to others such as if I would change my appearance to fit in with the locals - (yes!). When asked about country placement, I stated to place me where the sun will be shining. A few weeks later I received a call from Jen, while I was walking to class. As the rain poured down I took cover under Weniger Hall. This is where I learned I was nominated to serve. I was given 3 options of countries, all working in public health HIV/AIDS prevention, exactly where my heart is for service. I chose the option of West Africa departing in September of 2007. My bud Ed walked by during this conversation (Africa-wow!) and I did all I could to contain my excitement and giving someone (Ed and or a stranger) a big bear hug.

Nominee (Winter/Spring)
A few weeks later a rather large envelope arrived in our tiny mailbox. I was officially nominated on December 1, 2006. Program Name: Health Degreed/Africa. Most Health Degreed volunteers work in communities working to improve the lives of citizens involving Maternal/Child Health, Nutrition, or HIV/AIDS prevention education. Work with HIV/AIDS has always been a passion of mine, work as a Valley Aids Information Network (VAIN) My experience with VAIN has exposed the reality of the disease and how it affects peoples lives.
After one is nominated comes the dreaded medical clearance process. Stories from fellow Frisbee Diva and current PCV Angela was helpful during this time. Monthly emails from Ange to and from Paraguay has been fantastic, she's become my PC Sensei. Appointments were made to the dentist and doctor. Though dentist Jack Rocheld thinks I'm crazy for applying. He mentioned after the office remodel all of the old dentistry chairs and instruments were sent to Africa with a retired dentist and his wife, setting up a clinic. We both decided it was a sign, and Dr.Jack gave me his blessing :).

I was dentally cleared on January 30, 2007, 2 weeks after my appointment with Dr.Jack. One of my X-Rays hangs in the Flat (place I live with flatmate Beckie) due to the fact that its a photograph of my teeth/skull and my nose piercing. Come see it, its hilarious. So the dental went without a hitch and the rest soon followed...or so I thought.
A visit to Dr.Burton went well in Salem, I'm one healthy gal (knock on wood). After numerous blood tests..ugh I was done with that portion after battling anemia for the past year or so (I ate steak for the Peace Corps - no joke!). Due to an allergic reaction (yea to backyard bonfires) from last summer I've been hounding Good Samaritan Hospital for the past few months. Peace Corps does its best to make sure all is covered, understandable once you are out in the field. This past Friday March 30, 2007 I faxed in the rest of the paperwork. I'm going to call the Medical Office in D.C. on Monday to double check everything is in order. Though as far as I know, all that I need to do has been done. Time to sit back, hurry up and wait.

June 7, 2007: I walked home with Luke today, one of our neighbors (the bears upstairs). As we both got our mail I yelped - something from DC! I was happy to find a note from the med. offices asking for additional information. Just another blood test and a quick exam. Sweet! Hopefully after that info. is sent off tomorrow I'll be cleared. Fingers crossed! It was awesome to welcome my flatmate holding up my letter with a huge smile. We're both heading off into wonderful places in our lives (2 different continents strangely enough).

July 7, 2007: I find that I am most productive during the early morning hours. So I woke up yesterday around 6 AM to study a bit for my French exam. During breakfast I opened my email account to find wonderful news: Greetings from the Peace Corps Placement Office in Washington! Congratulations on recently receiving your medical clearance. Needless to say - I'm now one happy peace seeking gal. It's been quite the process so I'm quite relieved everything has gone thorough finally. I've been cooresponding with a few folks in DC, sending updated paperwork and double checking things. They requested I find my passport which led to near distruction of my desk though I found it eventually. The earliest I can leave is September 17, which is right after club sectionals in Corvallis. I'd like to keep playing as much ultimate before I leave. French courses will wrap up in a few weeks and I'll have my degree by the end of August. I am looking forward to hearing more news from DC in the comming weeks.

July 17,2007: I read a National Geographic Adventure magazine at Dixon today. I read a quote that reassured my current state as I wait for invitation:

"Nothing can happen to you if you don't leave home" - Paul Theroux.

I bought it. I'm leaving and I can't wait. Every time I see a FedEx truck I get excited. No, I don't have a thing for FedEx guys. I'm just hoping one of those fellas has my invitation packet.

INVITATION July 25, 2007
Just as I left for a run I took a quick look @ my phone, 1 voice mail. I received a message from the Peace Corps informing me of an invitation. All I'm told is to check my email and look out for a FedEx package in the next few days - holy crap! I called Celeste and Shaddy to share the news...no one picked up. So I go for a run instead of attempting to bottle up all my excitement. I decide to go to a coffee house and study before meeting Celeste for gelato. I open up my email box to find: Invitation to Serve in Cameroon September 19 2007.
I soon learn I have been invited to be a "Public Health Coordinator" working on numerous projects ranging from mother/infant nutrition, malaria prevention, and HIV/AIDS education. Amazing. Cameroon has been dubbed a "mini-Africa" due to its geographical and cultural diversity. Celeste also pointed out it's the "land of plenty". I'm stoaked, overwhelmed, excited, and sometimes when I think about moving to a foreign country I want to jump up and down...or throw up a little.

No comments: