Tuesday, October 30, 2007

October 12

October 12, 2007

After watching “One fine day” with a group of girls Erica and I trotted home in the dark. I boiled a pot of water and was ushered out of the “modern” kitchen (consisting of a stove/sink/freezer) by Mariann to the “traditional kitchen”, which basically is a room where they cook over a fire. Dinner time. Each time the lid of a giant pot is lifted I hold my breath. She revealed many bananas in peanut sauce along with giggly looking meat. I dish up some, wondering what it may be….make the mistake of asking…the answer: cow skin. Awesome.

I also got rocked by my host brothers earlier in UNO. I’m thankful for universal card games, which I can play with them. Our TV is on the fritz, so we can take a break from the French dubbed Spanish soap opera which my host mom can’t seem function without.

Today we took a well-needed field trip to Bassoufam. Our main focus of training this week has been HIV/AIDS (in Francais: VIH/SIDA) so it was fitting to visit a testing clinic. Medical confidentiality is an issue that is taken quite seriously in the states. Though it’s a bit different here. All those whom wish to be tested are put into a large room where they watch a 30 min VIH/SIDA video and receive pre-testing counseling as a group. So much for confidentiality, eh? After going through the counseling each person is called back by number to either receive results or have their blood taken. It was unsetting and terrifying to sit among people whom may receive news that could very well change their lives forever. The statistics for VIH/SIDA in Cameroon exclusively is 1 in 9 persons, though not as rampant as some African countries, the stats are staggering. The government has made strides to improve knowledge of the citizens, which is apparent. The children and teens I have spoken with are quite well informed though it’s the implementation of that knowledge which is the difficult area.

Things are starting to come together. It has helped that we’ve all sort of adopted a bit of routine after classes each day…at least till we have to go home before curfew. I failed to mention that, we all have to be at home, safe and sound by 6pm. Excellent. So this is how the week has shaped up thus far:

Monday: Ultimate at the stade, a AUPA (African ultimate players association) is in the works.

Tuesday: Cyber café, find out the Al Gore won a Nobel Peace Prize. Call Grandpa to wish him a Happy 85th birthday! Decide that I miss Grandpa very much and am homesick for eating ice cream with him, talking politics, and everything else about him. Get a bit weepy about the birthday bash I missed out on.

Wednesday: An evening that is becoming one of my favorites. Gather at the PC house and make a big dinner, everyone pitches in 1000 CFA and eats fantastic food. Last week was Mexican, this week was spaghetti, and there are Thai rumors for next week.

Thursday: School gets out early and everyone including language trainers joins in for a soccer match. Nura and I walk laps instead of getting kicked in the shins. Learn that Nura is chummy with Al Gores son and went to school with him. Decide that the 10 degrees separation thing is actually true, and that Nura is pretty fantasic friend to have.

Friday (Today): After classes retire among many others at Chez Pierre, a shack/bar/hut and have a “33” (pronounced trente-trois) brew and plan Ambers surprise birthday soiree for this weekend. Hotly debate whether or not to buy a goat for my post.

Halloween is just around the corner, please send costume suggestions as you wish. Also, in upcoming news: On the 1st of November is the day for post announcements. This is when I’ll find out where I will be working/living in Cameroon post training.

PS: I have a cell phone here – yea! Texting is pretty great. I left my cell phone with everyone’s #’s in the PC safe in Yaounde so if you don’t get a call from me that’s why. Anywho, here’s my African digits: 001 237 74 83 02 31

Much love from Cameroon. KT

No comments: