Tuesday, October 30, 2007

October 26


Today is one of the best days I have been here in Cameroon. Kim, the APCD (Associated Peace Corps Director) for the heath program met with each volunteer. This is in lieu of our post announcements this week. She is basically our supervisor in PC when it comes directly to our posting and work in the future. It was great to check in with her, update information and preferences for posting. It is exciting to hear about possible places where PCT will be heading in about a month or so.

Since I have arrived in country I have been really interested in working in water and sanitation interventions. Getting a clean, fresh drink of water in the states is routine for most people. Though here the situation here is much different. Most water that comes from the faucet is untreated, though even if it has been treated the infrastructure of pipes ruins the clean water. There are many techniques for purifying water here in Cameroon and I hope to implement those once in community. I figure this is a topic that is very specific to a developing country and I may not have this same PH opportunity in the states.

Take a break, go ahead and Google the phrase: “Blister beetle”, head to images. I’m assuming a nice picture of a good sized blister will show up, or maybe an example of the critter that got me this week. While in Cameroon my health has been great, thankfully. Though I have found I’m pretty much a “bon-bon”or candy for the insects here. Currently I have 3 good-sized blister/bites on my ankle, hot – I know. Tao, one of the instructors insisted I head to the doctor at the hospital yesterday. Don’t worry Momma it’s nothing serious. Mostly uncomfortable from the swelling/itching. Though I found the doctor was more interested in talking to Americans than worrying about my leg. Aba, my good friend accompanied me along with one of the PC drivers. Aba is an all-star French speaker and was the key ingredient for translation. We also stopped into the bakery and snagged some goodies after visiting the pharmacy.

Another highlight of my day was when Marian one of my host sisters offered to help clean my room. I have learned that if anyone offers to help, you accept because it’s really just his or her way of telling you to do something. I asked her to pick some music from my iPOD, she decided to blast Shania Twain. Here I am, in Africa listening to Shania Twain. Goodness. Sonja, one of my language trainers who live in the Otis family compound came over to join in. Then we switched it over to Britney Spears and had a dance party. Fantastic. Life is good today in Cameroon. I have my language interview tomorrow morning, which determine how much French I have obtained in 5 weeks.

I spoke with both my Mom and Dad on Sunday night, which was pretty great. Mom and Bill just retured from a trip to Ireland – yea world travelers! Way to use that passport Bill! It was great to check in and hear about their trip across the pond. Dad and Carol are in Las Vegas now – fun! When my host family asked about them I couldn’t have sounded more like a stereotypical rich American. “Oh my Mom just got home from Europe and my Dad is vacationing in Vegas” – ha! It is SO, SO wonderful to have updates from the states and hear happy voices. The time difference is tricky sometimes – 8 hours now…soon to be 9 once Oregon “falls back”.

PS: One more highlight. A volunteer who is about to COS (close of service) is giving me a whole box of new Frisbees along with cones!! Apparently someone from the states sent them over but she never had a chance to use them. Fantastic!! Tossing a disc a few times in a week has been keeping me sane. Tomorrow after classes I’m having a
mini-throwing clinic at the stade – sweet!!

No comments: