Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tuesday October 9, 2007

Our recent training motto: the days go slow but the weeks fly by. It’s true. It’s been roughly 3 weeks since I left for my PC adventures. It seems like we’ve been gone much longer than that for some reason though. Over the past few things I’ve realized a few things….French is rough. I’m slowly getting the hang of it though. Due to the patience of trainers Djanabo and Sonja things are looking up. I may have been the first PCT to cry in French class due to utter confusion/frustration – awesome! Thankfully Cameroonians as a whole are very forgiving when it comes to language.

Weekdays here consist of classes from 7:30 am till 4:30 pm. I walk to school with Nina, Marian, and Toman (host siblings). Marian and Toman catch a motortaxi to school, basically they just hop on the back of a guys motorcycle. During lunch I have French tutoring. After class I normally go running with Ali, go to the stade, attempt to check my email @ the cyber café, or practice French. Monday has turned into Frisbee day. I meet up with friends at the stadium, or as it’s called here, the stade. Futbol is normally played there but we throw together a game of ultimate once a week. It’s been really great tossing around a disc for a bit. Watching Cameroonian kiddies catch a Diva disc is quite fantastic as well.

I spend Saturday morning at school till about noon. Afterwards we head down to the market, which is always an experience. I bargained my hangers down 400 CFA last time, and I was pretty soaked. Afterwards I head home to do laundry. In the states all it takes is a push of a button and some soap. Here? Not so much. Want clean clothes in Cameroon? Just follow these easy steps:

1) Gather 2.5 week old laundry from room

2) Ask sister Nina how to wash it, note her expression her horrified look of quantity of dirty clothes

3) Fill bucket of cold soapy water

4) Scrub clothes for about 1 hour or so (make sure to keep you’re undies of sight – it’s awfully taboo)

5) Rinse, hang to dry….wait 3 days for them to dry

6) Iron them so the mango flies that may be embedded in the clothes don’t borough into your skin – yea!

Sundays consist of an early 6AM 5 mile run with my host Dad and Nina. We meet up with a futbol team at the tennis court for more exercises. My Sunday afternoons have turned into field trips with my host Dad Toukham. Last week it was out to meet his Mom in a small village, and to greet the kin of the village (who had about 6 cheetah furs hung in his hut – oh my!). This Sunday we drove out to Bazou, where he is the mayor. A group of 15 women decided to rush the car yelling his name…he then shelled about 10,000 CFA to them. Apparently it’s customary for Mayors to give out the big bucks.

It is the end of the rainy season, which means in a few weeks it’s going to get hot and sunnier! I also hear it brings dust, which I’d rather have than the current muddy situation. Cameroonians eat a lot of carbs, if you intend on following the Adkin’s diet stay far, far, away from this African country. Plantains, white bread, potatoes, and rice are in abundance. I cringe at the lack of whole grains in my diet. Luckily the West Province is relatively close to the ocean so fish is eaten quite regularly.


PS: Yah to 3 new entries! It's been busy but I've finally posted. Enjoy. Much love. Kate

Today has been a great day - David one of the leaders went to Basofam and picked up whole wheat bread and peanut butter for me! Ahh just a bit of heaven in Cameroon!

1 comment:

nANCY said...

HI kATIE, I look at your blog to see if you are posting, How are you, I hope you are doing great, Keep up the good work, Bonjour!!!
You must be excited to get your post, Stay well, much love, mom